Translate

Monday, May 30, 2011

Love.

This morning I was in the kitchen about to make some eggs for breakfast and the Lord asked me if I loved one of my dear sisters in Christ. This person is such a wonderful friend to me, and of course I responded, ¨yes, Lord. I love her.¨ Well, as you can imagine, that was followed by another question. ¨Would you lay down your life for her if the situation arose?¨ Hmmm I´m pretty sure I tried to change the subject about four times in my head over the next 10 seconds, and then I realized how stupid it was to say that I loved someone without really thinking about what that could mean in a Biblical context. I started looking at this verse: John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. Man...either makes me not want to have alot fewer  ¨friends¨ or be way more serious about the friendships I do have. 


I guess I have been reminded over the last two or so years that I really don´t understand God´s love, and that seems like kind of a scary thing when I call myself a follower of Christ. I John 4:7-12  

Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. 10 In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us.

 I mean, love started with Him frist, and it´s about Him, so I guess I´m realizing that like pretty much every thing else in my life, I can´t just ¨try harder¨and something will happen. It´s admitting that I can´t do it without Him and that I´m desperate for Him to awaken my soul to the depths of his love demonstrated in the gospel. This is my prayer for myself and the body of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment