Translate

Friday, March 26, 2010

Weeks 3 and 4!

Well its Friday! Praise the Lord. This week has been crazy because I havent known what English classes I was going to be teaching until the day of, plus Ive been teaching intensive English classes from 4-6 each evening. Ive heard the word ¨Miiiiiiiiiiisss¨ more times than I ever want to think about...and in that tone of voice too.

This week, I taught colors, numbers, months of the year, days of the week, and seasons. Some of the kids already know all of this, and some are to afraid to even begin to pronounce a word in English. There are a few kids in some of my classes that just arrived from the jungle or from some other part of Peru and they do not know a word of English. Many times they sit in the back of my classes, looking scared and closed off and my heart goes out to them. I want to start a class for kids that know absolutely no English and do not understand what is going on. So, hopefully I will be able to do that this next week.

This week, I have really been thinking about the difference between what I say I want to do and what I do. For instance, I say I want to know God more, but then when it comes down to it, I struggle with wanting to sleep longer vs. getting up and actually spending time with Him so that I really can know Him. I am also wanting develop the type of relationship that I constantly am relying on Him and talking to Him throughout the day, and while I know that Im subconsciously relying on Him, I want it to be a conscious conversation that is constantly going on with Him.

I am getting to know the kids better, and God has given me opportunities to share Him with them. This morning, I didnt have class, so I went to the cafeteria to grade papers and a couple of girls came up and started helping me. They were asking me what types of things I like (as kids here often do) and I asked them what they thought about God. I was then able to share Christ with them using the sweet bracelet from Lisa (thanks Lisa!!) that explains the gospel using 5 really simple little stick pictures.

I have been feeling so much better this week...I got a little sick yesterday but that was my own fault cause I had been drinking the water, which I will NOT be doing any more. Terrible idea. So, Im just recovering from that and so thankful that it didnt last longer than a day.

Im still trying to get a schedule down where I can kinda get everything in ballance. Its kinda frusterating, because I feel like there are not enough minutes in the day to do everything that I want to do. With teaching comes all of the paper grading and yada yada. Please pray that God will give me the wisdom to know exactly how to handle the time He has given me and that I will be able to actually just hang out with the kids more than I have been able to in the last week. With teaching English until 6 every night, dinner from 7 to 8 and then bed by about 10, there is not a ton of time in there to hang out, but it definitely can be done =)

Lets see...funny moments this week...Well, I found out that Ive been using body fragrance this whole time thinking it was deoderant...no wonder it wasnt working! I bought it here and apparently assumed that since it looked like a stick of deoderant, that it probably was! Boy was I wrong. Lets see...one of my kids in my classes tried to give me THE EYES during class...if you know what I mean.  I was like...um kid, Im pretty sure your about 14. Did I mention Im 24? hmmm.  I actually cant think of any more funny or embarrassing stories which is kinda weird. Guess it was a pretty uneventful week.

Well friends, I need to go, but I will update soon! Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment