Translate

Friday, February 5, 2010

Here we go!

Dear Family and Friends,

God has been doing some amazing things recently. Some of you know that I went with a team of about 30 other individuals from Southmont Baptist Church to visit an orphanage in Peru during the first week of January. We put on four days of VBS for the children, conducted teacher-training courses, and worked on the construction of the school at the orphanage. Six of us (including myself) lived at the orphanage during the time we were there. God allowed us to see a place that is in desperate need of Him. Hogar Segrada Familia, which is the name of the orphanage, is home to 730 children. It is one of the largest orphanages in Lima, also housing a medical clinic and school.

While I was in Lima, I strongly felt God calling me to return. He gave me a burning passion to see the children at the orphanage come to know Christ. Most of them do not have a relationship with Christ, and many have never heard the gospel.

Since age 16, I have known that I was going to be involved in missions somehow, and for the past eight years, I have been asking God for the specifics of this call. While I was in Lima, He answered this prayer. One of the other girls on the team, Lauren, also felt God calling her back, and we are planning to return to the orphanage the first week in March.

We plan to stay for ten months, which is the duration of their school year. We will be teachers in the school that is located on the orphanage grounds. During this time, our primary focus is to share the gospel and the love of Christ with the children, teens and other teachers who call “Hogar Segrada de Familia” home. Obviously, we cannot do this alone.

I am inviting you to be a part what God is doing in Peru. We both deeply sense God’s leading in this, and we know He will take care of the details. The total cost for one of us to live there for one month will probably be between $300 and $400 per month (between $3,000-$4,000 .per person for 10 months).

Whether you choose to pray, or give or do both, I invite you keep up with what is going on and how God is moving in South America by continuing to check this blog. I would also LOVE emails while I am there. My email address is lane.nancy@sbcglobal.net. If you do want to give financially, please send it directly to Southmont Baptist Church, 2801 Pennsylvania Drive, Denton, TX 76205-8307. Checks should be made out to Southmont Worldwide (for tax deduction purposes, do not write either of our names on the check; instead write them on a sticky note and attach to the check). I am so excited to be a part of something that is so much bigger than I am, and I pray that you would seek God’s direction on being a part of this opportunity as well.

Blessings,

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment